Recently, Joy and I picked up an electric wok from a yard-sale (as you may have seen on one of my latest tweets). I have been trying to think of good uses for it that didn’t revolve around the orient, and today I did: the Mexican Fiesta Platter.
There are three main steps when putting this together: the meat, the salsa, and the extras (done in that order). My version is meant to serve two people, so adjust as needed. Something else to keep in mind: I hardly ever cook anything using any type of measuring (unless it’s absolutely needed); most of the time I just throw things together and hope for the best; that is definitely the case in this recipe, so take that into consideration with the measurements I provide.
The Meaty Center
- Approx. 4-6 oz. of ground chuck
- 1 raw ear of corn (or equal amount of fresh kernels)
- 1/2 a medium onion, chopped
- 1- 2 cups of water
- Your favorite taco seasoning
- Cooking spray
- Spray your wok with cooking spray, then turn on to high. Let the wok get hot before continuing to the next step.
- In your electric wok (or a large frying pan if you don’t have one), fry the meat until it’s brown. This shouldn’t take very long if your wok is hot enough.
- Next, add enough water to cover the meat (don’t drown it), and put your wok to a medium heat.
- While the meat is simmering, cut your ear of corn down to kernels and chop your onion.
- Add your freshly-cut vegetables to the simmering meat; increase the heat to medium-high.
- Add enough water that the meat portion is still covered, then add your taco seasoning. Joy happened to buy a large container of seasoning, so I was able to spice it up to my liking; add to taste.
- Once a good portion of the water is gone, put the wok on a low-medium heat and let simmer
- Proceed to the salsa while you wait (but be sure to keep an eye on it!). By the time you finish your salsa, this should be done and ready.
Sour Cream Salsa
Sour cream is absolutely delicious! It goes great on tacos, burritos, and more. So, why not make a salsa out of it?
- 4 tbsp. Low Fat Sour Cream
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- Dill Weed (to taste)
- Chives and Parsley for some greenery
- If you haven’t already, chop and dice your onion and tomato.
- Put the onion and tomato into a bowl suitable for mixing. Next, add some chives and parsley to give a green, fun look (I honestly don’t think it’ll change the taste, so this is optional).
- Add your sour cream and mix.
- Add your dill weed and mix again. Done!
Extras and Serving
You can add any number of side dishes as you want (I kept mine minimal): black beans, refried beans, additional salsas, shredded lettuce, peppers, hot sauce, you name it. Want to make it a party dish? Double, triple, or even quadruple the recipe, and serve the meat and salsa half-and-half in a large bowl, then grab a big chips and have at it!